When you want to say more than just "Happy Birthday"!
Every year, we ask ourselves the same question: What do I write on the birthday card? "Happy Birthday" just doesn't cut it, does it? That person is special to you, and you want to say more!
Congratulations! With this sentiment, you've already proven how important this person is to you! it's time for some creativity to celebrate your loved one's special day properly! Don't you worry. We'll help you bring your Happy Birthday wishes to perfection!
"In youth we learn, in age we understand."
– Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach
Table of contents
What do you want to express with your birthday wishes?
A new year of life always promises something new and exciting. Then why should our congratulations always be the same? "Happy Birthday" isn't enough and certainly doesn't fill the birthday cards. Creativity starts with the intention, and it doesn't matter whether it is about siblings, friends, parents, or your one true love.
The perfect Happy Birthday wish shows:
- Your bond with each other
- You have made an effort
- The recipient feels special
- You know the recipient's likes and dislikes
Maybe you want to stand out from the crowd and would even write a poem to do so. Maybe a quote is better or you're simply looking for a way to put your feelings into words. Now, what do we usually wish each other for our birthdays? Health, happiness, the strength to hold out a little longer?
Life has so much more to offer! A good birthday quote expresses how well we know the birthday boy or girl! Does he/she love Star Wars? Perfect theme for your wish!
"Your birthday it is. Celebrate you must!"
Is it a real quote? Well, it certainly isn't. But that's not what matters. Putting a smile on your loved one's face is what you want! Creativity is what really matters when you want to grant your loved one's wish for a little well-deserved extra bit of attention!
Want to do more than just copy a birthday wish? How about writing your own birthday wishes? While we can't help you to write it word for word, there are a few ways to say a "Happy Birthday" that aren't limited to the wish itself or a quote.
Here's what to keep in mind:
- Avoid mentioning their embarrassing moments. While this may be funny, it can also be awkward and come back to haunt you later.
- Instead, write about fun and happy memories or future plans.
- Keep it short.
- If you want to rhyme, rhyme. Often they're not perfect, but they're fine. You don't have to be Shakespeare, you don't have to be Schiller. The main thing is that you don't write a mood killer.
- It's mostly about wishing them well. You can tell them everything else in person. So don't stress about cramming all the right words into a single birthday wish.
Short birthday wishes and quotes
You're in a hurry and can't invest that much time in birthday cards, but still want to honor them with a Happy Birthday greeting that's anything but lame? We understand that very well! Life is short and yet full of love. That's exactly what your Happy Birthday quote can be!
These beautiful and also funny quotes you can write on birthday cards, or send as a birthday message via Whatsapp!
- Always remember: You're only old when the candles cost more than the birthday cake. Happy Birthday!
- Wishing you the best on this special day!
- Sorrow, be lame! Worry, be blind! Long live the birthday boy! (Heinrich Theodor Fontane)
- Our age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying us! Happy Birthday!
- Anyone who retains the ability to recognize beauty will never grow old. (Kafka)
- Happy Birthday to my ride or die! Love you lots!
- Birthdays are a wonderful thing! The more you get to enjoy, the older you get! (Willy Meurer)
- A birthday is probably without question, the most beautiful of all honorary days. Therefore I would like to lose no time and wish you a happy birthday!
- If someone calls you old, then hit them with the stick and throw your dentures at him. Happy birthday.
- If you can blow out that many candles, you still got a few years left in you. Happy Birthday!
- Learn to grow old with a young heart. That's the whole art. (Phil Bosmans)
- Best wishes on your birthday – may you have many, many more!
- The reason many people don't live to be eighty is because they try too long to stay forty. (Salvador Dalí)
- A birthday greeting for you is on the way. It's not for everyone, it's a privilege!
- I wish you the very best for your birthday today.
- So young and full of zest for action, stay that way, I wish you the best!
- A year has passed, the candles are burning. I wish you a happy birthday from the bottom of my heart!
- Whereever the year ahead takes you, I hope it's happy!
- Cheers to you for another trip around the sun! Happy Birthday!
- Wishing you the biggest slice of happy today!
If you are looking for more funny birthday wishes, you can find them here: Funny birthday quotes
Belated birthday wishes
We've all been there. You have a lot to do, you're stressed out from everyday life, and you don't even know what day it is. Then you finally get on top of it again, only to realize that you forgot an important birthday! Don't worry, real friends and loving relatives will forgive you! After all, it happens to all of us.
In addition to the apology, however, the birthday greeting should then be especially good! Therefore, belated birthday greetings can also be particularly funny. This takes a little of the tension out of the situation. Don't be afraid to include funny rhymes either! We have compiled a few sayings for belated birthday wishes here:
- On your birthday, they all think of you. Only I, I think of you on all other days!
- The best gift is to be special even on ordinary days. Happy belated birthday!
- I didn't forget your birthday. It's just that you actually deserve to celebrate your special moment more than once. Happy belated birthday!
- Some people give you attention on one day a year. I do it on 355! Happy belated birthday!
- Aw shucks, my birthday message took a day to get to you! ;) Happy belated birthday!
- I send Happy Birthday wishes 355 days early, just so I can be the first to congratulate you. What can I say, I'm competitive.
- Sorry for congratulating you a bit late, but it doesn't mean that I love you any less! Happy belated birthday!
- Wishing a happy birthday on time is so mainstream. I hope you had a lovely day!
- My sincerest apologies that I missed your special day.
- Happiness often comes unexpectedly. Happy belated birthday!
- Only one special day per year? That's hardly enough. Happy belated birthday!
- Fashionably late – happy belated birthday!
- Next year, I'll make sure to wish you well a day earlier just to be on the safe side!
- It's a late one but indeed not a fake one! Happy belated birthday!
- Happy Unbirthday! (From Alice in Wonderland)
- The best is yet to come! Happy belated birthday!
- Oh, you know... time difference. Happy belated birthday!
- Happy belated birthday! Sorry, I had to mentally prepare myself for you turning another year older.
- Forgetting a birthday doesn't mean forgetting the person.
When we wish someone a happy birthday, the temptation to rhyme is strong! And what contains more rhymes than a poem? Here are a few ideas for birthday poems!
My fondest wishes are for you,
Since today's your special day,
May every dream you chase,
Come true and never stray.
You are so special to me,
You deserve the best of all,
May your birthday be ageless,
May you know joy big and small.
the universe took its time on you
crafted you to offer the world
something different from everyone else
when you doubt
how you were created
you doubt an energy greater than us both
– rupi kaur
On your birthday I wish you much pleasure and joy;
I hope all of your wishes come true.
May each hour and minute be filled with delight,
And your birthday be perfect for you!
– Joanna Fuchs
A Birthday Wish
B e yourself, we love and appreciate you
I magine and achieve all you can be
R relax this day and celebrate another year
T ake time to look after you, you are so dear
H umor, never lose your sense of humor
D etermination you do have that great quality
A ttitude, yours is positive and felt by others
Y esterday is gone, tomorrow is not here, live today and enjoy the year!
– Catherine Pulsifer
Want to write an extra personal birthday poem for your partner? Then check out our guide on how to write a love poem!
Birthday sayings for men or women
Men and women are more alike than you might think, but sometimes it's fun to use clichés. Here are our picks for Happy Birthday wishes for men and women!
Birthday wishes for men
- Old enough to know better ... young enough to do it anyway.
- Great to still be young, healthy, and full of energy! Can you still remember that?
- Today is an exceptional man's birthday. You're lucky, I'm here with you instead. Happy Birthday!
- What matures slowly, ages late! (Conrad Ferdinand Meyer)
- No matter how old you get, male friendship never ages!
- Happy Birthday to a true classic!
- Congratulations! Update to version (age) has been successfully installed.
- Give yourself a manly back-slap and pretend it's from me! Happy Birthday!
- They say the good die young. I'm so glad, you're a jerk!
- Congratulations, you've reached metal age! Silver in your hair, gold in your teeth, lead in your feet.
- Getting older is not for sissies! Congratulations!
- No wise man ever wished he were younger. (Jonathan Swift)
- I remembered your birthday and forgot your age. You're welcome.
If you want the greeting to be a little more humorous, you can find more funny birthday quotes for men here: Funny birthday quotes
Birthday wishes for women
- Happy Birthday to the most fabulous woman I know!
- Sports make you feel prettier. So does champagne. Cheers and congratulations!
- A year older, a year bolder. Happy Birthday!
- You're shining so bright today that the number we're going to celebrate today for isn't even apparent! Congratulations!
- I am so grateful to have a woman like you in my life. You make everything better. Happiest of birthdays to you!
- I'm sorry I called you old. I thought you knew.
- From 50 on, it's our duty to do all the nonsense we didn't have money for when we were 20!
- Don't be afraid of getting older. You can still do a lot of nonsense. Just slower.
- Women are like a good wine. The older they get, the better they will be.
- I hope you like your new age. It seems to love you, because it looks good on you!
- A well-meant piece of advice for your birthday: life is short! Eat the cake, buy the shoes!
- Happy Birthday to a lady that shines like a diamond!
Birthday sayings for teenagers
If teenagers have one birthday wish, it's not to be embarrassed. Even if you mean well with your wishes, you can still miss the mark with the nicest saying.
The safest way is to not mindlessly quote pop culture, but find a saying that shows you take them seriously as growing people and wish them the best in life, without making the age gap obvious or seem even bigger.
The birthday child will be happy to receive a simple poem or quote. Of course, you may also bring a funny birthday saying.
- You are young and beautiful! You will be rich later! Have a wonderful birthday!
- What you wish for yourself, I wish for you! May all your wishes come true and happiness and contentment accompany you in your new year of life.
- Hard to put on cake, how great you are! All the best for your birthday!
- You don't celebrate a birthday every day! Congratulations from the bottom of my heart!
- Remember, seasons come and go. Learn to understand the dynamics of each, and you will live like a king. Enjoy the journey!
- Life is like a canvas. Take the most beautiful colors and make it as colorful as possible!
- There is only one right way – your own! All the best!
- Once your reputation is ruined, you can live without any worries!
- It is not the number of years, but what you do with them! Do what makes you happy and learn from mistakes that you have to make at least once! All the best for your birthday!
- I will always be here for you! Happy Birthday!
- I am proud of you! All the best, child prodigy!
- If you don't lose track of all your talents.... you'll grow up to be great! Happy Birthday!
- You don't always have a tailwind in life. But I'll always have your back!
Did you find the perfect birthday wishes for your birthday boy or girl yet? Have you been inspired to create one of your own? Share your favorites or own ideas in the comments!