Romantic sayings and quotes for declaring love
"Bound to you as the rays are to the sun."
Many love it, many hate it, and some don't care about it at all. Valentine's Day. It almost seems as if our happiness depends not on the day itself, but on us.
But love, and therefore Valentine's Day cards, can be given to anyone! It doesn't have to be a romantic partner. Maybe your Valentine is your best friend! Or even yourself!
Fact is, there are so many ways to show love! Let us help you express your feelings this February 14th!
Table of contents
- Romantic sayings and quotes for declaring love
- Declaration of love
- Use Valentine's Day quotes properly
- What feelings do you want to describe?
- Does the recipient know that you love him/her?
- Do you want to take your relationship to a new level?
- Enjoy the little moments
- Funny Valentine – quotes to make your lover laugh
- Short Valentine's Day sayings
- Valentine's day sayings for singles
- Valentine's Day quotes for friends
- Romantic quotes
- Valentine's Day poems
Declaration of love
Are you one of those romantics waiting to confess your love on Valentine's Day? Good idea! This February 14 holiday encourages us to share our love with a box of chocolates, flowers, and or a sweet card. The gesture does not get as much attention from the outside, because the day is already full of Instagram and Facebook posts anyway. Florists everywhere put the most beautiful bouquets in the window, and cafés serve the most delicious heart-shaped cakes! Valentine's Day makes us forget how dull and gray February often is.
This means that half the work is already done and you didn't have to lift a finger. But now it's time to get down to business!
Use Valentine's Day quotes properly
Actions speak louder than words, sure. Dinner, chocolate, flowers, a gift ... all of that can make you feel very special. But at some point you're going to want to put those feelings for your man or woman into words.
In order to make the most of this holiday and give it the intended meaning, you should ask yourself the following questions:
What feelings do you want to describe?
A small crush can be confessed with a short but sweet quote on a card. This also applies to the tender beginnings of a new relationship. You've only been a couple for a few weeks or a few months? Then it's usually best to hold back the big proclamations, especially on an overly romantic holiday like this one. Those may only build up unnecessary pressure. Especially if you're still taking it slow in everyday life, too.
Does the recipient know that you love him/her?
If the answer to this question is "no," then Valentine's Day will be extra exciting! Do you want to confess your love to a boyfriend or girlfriend? It's something you don't do often in life and it takes a lot of courage! However, you are sure and finally want to pour your heart out because the tingling in your stomach won't stop. Then by all means, go for it!
Do you want to take your relationship to a new level?
Valentine's Day is just right for that! As mentioned above, you're already a little more open to romance on this day, and a little help is always nice to have. Whether you want to turn a platonic friendship into a relationship, or a casual relationship into an exclusive one. With the right quote, your chances increase enormously! Also pay attention to how your counterpart ticks and what is appropriate for her / him.
Enjoy the little moments
Flowers and chocolates are a beautiful gesture. But you can make Valentine's Day even more personal and special by referencing the everyday things your partner does in their day-to-day life. Personalize your favorite Valentine's Day quote from one of our lists with a memory of a particularly nice day you spent together, or say what you find most beautiful about her/him.
Mention details, like the moment you fell in love or something you discovered through him or her. It could be a hobby or a movie. We often don't see what we love most about our partners until they are no longer with us. Then we suddenly miss their laughter, their catchphrase, or how their eyes shine when their favorite song is played.
The truth is that at some point we become blind to these little things. Therefore, Valentine's Day is a good opportunity to remember these moments and qualities and share them with your partner. When he/she hears how much you love these things about them, your partner will also pay more attention to themselves, thus keeping the magic going.
If you want to give your partner a special gift, you can also include these little things. It doesn't have to be a necklace or an expensive watch – unless that's what you'd like. Often, it's not the material value that matters, but the sentimental value. Return to the place where you met and celebrate by having a fancy dinner, or go back to where you had your first date or first kiss.
However, with all the romance you got going on, don't forget the quote! Whether funny, sweet, romantic, original, or straight from the pen of a poet, we've rounded up the best Valentine's Day quotes for you!
Funny Valentine – quotes to make your lover laugh
Sometimes you don't want to lay it on quite so thick, we understand. Since a funny saying fits much better. Many would like to send Valentine's Day greetings to good friends. Because there is also a lot of love in friendship! With these sayings you show this with humor.
- For you, I'd even shave my legs.
- You are the charging cable of my life. Without you, I would be empty.
- You and me, hand in hand. On the way to the hot dog stand.
- I love you with all my butt. I'd say heart, but my butt is bigger. Happy Valentine!
- You're my first thought in the morning and my last thought at night.... and some naughty thoughts in between!
- Love is trying to solve problems in pairs that you wouldn't have if you were alone.
- Because you let me kiss you... I forgot all the rest.
- The most important things in life should always be with you: My car keys, my credit card... I'm just wondering how I'm gonna fit you in my pocket.
- If we had a zombie apocalypse, I'd kill you last. Happy Valentine!
- I'd hug you even if you were a cactus and I was a balloon.
- Roses are red, violets are blue, can I treat you to something from Deliveroo?
- Love is like having a bath: keep it hot, and stay in it until you're all wrinkly.
- You are my happiness, you are my star, even if you are crazy, I love you!
- Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk in again?
- I heard that milk makes you beautiful, but you must have drunk a lot of it.
- My bed is broken, can I sleep in yours?
- Heaven has called, an angel is missing... Don't worry, darling, I'll be back soon!
"Without Valentine's Day, February would be ... well, January."
– Jim Gaffigan
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt."
– Charles M. Schulz
"I love being married. It's so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life."
– Rita Rudner
Short Valentine's Day sayings
Not that much space on your card? Or do not want to overdo it for your first Valentine? Then pick a short but snappy quote from this list! After all, a Valentine's Day greeting doesn't have to be long to wow the recipient!
- Love is work. But with you it's always lunch time!
- I'm so glad you exist and I'm still in love like the first day!
- Love is being blind even though it's not dark at all.
- You are the best thing in my life.
- Count the stars in the sky and you know how often I think of you.
- You are the most beautiful coincidence of my life.
- I want you for all eternity.
- Every day with you is a cause for celebration. But you make this day extra special. Happy Valentine!
- When I am with you, I am home.
- I wish I could spend 8 days a week, 25 hours a day with you.
- I have been waiting for you all my life.
- Everyone has a weakness. You are mine.
- Without you I am a candle without light.
- Love is like a garden. If you don't tend it, it goes to waste.
- In the next life I'll find you sooner.
- Love is when two find each other who have never looked for each other.
- Love is a miracle invisible to others.
- Thanks to you, my dreams come true.
- Happiness is the only thing that doubles when you share it.
- Since I've known you, you've never left my heart.
- Love is the only thing that grows when we waste it.
- Can't sleep, can't eat, just can't forget you.
"To love at all is to be vulnerable."
– C.S. Lewis
Valentine's day sayings for singles
Valentine's Day doesn't have to be a day of sadness for singles. You can take it with humor, or ignore it completely. But if you want to prove a little self-love, you're sure to find a saying in this list that will make your heart beat faster!
- It's nice that I exist.
- I've been single for quite some time now and I can say with certainty: I am the one.
- Today is Valentine's Day? Crap, forgot to get me a relationship again.
- Valentine's Day. First off to the park and throw fries at couples.
- I'm fine with a card for Valentine's Day - Visa or Master, I don't care.
- The "V" in Valentine's stands for vodka.
- Never mind if you're not in love on Valentine's Day. After all, you won't be dead on the Day of the Dead either.
- This strong independant woman doesn't need a man! Chocolate would be nice, though...
- I'm gonna have a fancy cocktail tonight. Write my own valentine card. And tomorrow, chocolate will be on sale!
- Go away, or you'll fall in love with me.
- The best remedy for love at first sight is a second glance.
- Relationship status: idiot-free.
- Happy Valentine to all those people who stay in relationships just so they're not alone!
- Why fall in love when five cups of coffee can make my heart skip a beat?
- Relationship status: Can eat garlic baguette with aioli dip every day.
- Happy Valentine to all the Hallmark movie couples!
- The roses sting, the violets stink, screw the flowers, we're going out for drinks.
Valentine's Day quotes for friends
Many say that love born of friendship makes for the best partnerships! But platonic friendship is often just as strong! All it takes is one word from friends and they're right there to help. Show your best friends your affection with these Valentine's Day sayings and quotes.
Happy Galentine's Day! Or Palentine's Day!
- Your friendship is more important to me than all the romance in the world.
- With you I have found the all-round carefree package.
- Girlfriends are like shoes: when you're young, you can't have enough of them. Later, you realize that they're always the same ones you feel comfortable with.
- Friends are where life begins and love never ends. Happy Valentine!
- Those who have friends for life also have joy in life.
- Friends are like lanterns on the road. They do not make it shorter, but all the brighter.
- The bigger the roof damage, the better our view of the stars.
- Come on, let's go to restaurants and yell at men on dates "You said I was the only one for you!".
- Those who do not honor friendship are not worthy of love. Happy Valentine!
- Once love asked friendship, "Why do you exist when I already exist?" Friendship answered, "To bring a smile where you leave a tear."
"Friends are medicine for a wounded heart, and vitamins for a hopeful soul."
– Steve Maraboli
"Friendship is the wine of life."
– Edward Young
"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature."
– Janes Austen
Was there a saying for you and your friends yet? If you need more inspiration, you can find friendship sayings and quotes for all kinds of occasions here!
Romance always depends on our own perception. Some find grand gestures romantic, others prefer to be alone together. For some, nothing is more romantic than a helping hand, for others it is the words of great poets.
So if you want to go a little thicker with the saying, here's an extra romantic selection!
- The earth needs rain, the plant needs light, the sky needs stars, and I need you.
- I saw rainbows in all their glory, Saw the most beautiful, starry night. Saw sunsets worth crying over, but never saw a face as beautiful as yours. Happy Valentine!
- To the world you are anyone, but to me you are the world.
- Love is when the "I" and the "you" become a "we".
- The very best thing on earth is to be loved by you. Happy Valentine!
- You are the reason why I dream during the day and cannot sleep at night.
- The person who can put a smile on your face without touching you, without talking to you, should be the person to whom you give your heart! I give you mine. I love you.
- I may not always say it but I love you every day of my life.
- I don't know what I would do without you. Happy Valentine!
- If I had only two breaths left, I would use the first to kiss you, and the second to tell you how much I love you.
- I never fell this hard for anyone. Thank you for catching me.
- Thinking of you is already beautiful, but even more beautiful is looking at you.
- Wherever I went, I always found my way back to you. You are my compass.
- Every beautiful moment with you, is like a fulfilled dream of mine.
- Those who give away their heart, give the most precious gift that one can give.
- Before I met you, love was just a word. Now it has your face.
- If your love for me is a dream, I never want to wake up. If your love is true, never let me fall asleep.
"If you work through the tough times, the respect and love that you feel deepens."
– Barack Obama
"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
– Emily Bronte, 'Wuthering Heights'
"Take my hand, take my whole life, too, but I can't help falling in love with you."
– Elvis Presley
Valentine's Day poems
Poems often express feelings even more romantically than a saying or quote. Here are our favorites for Valentine's Day!
Loved you yesterday,
love you still,
– Elaine Davis
A Day For Everyone!
A day to avoid? Or one to look forward to?
I suppose it's up to you.
Valentines day can be perfect for those in love,
But those still looking, prefer to discontinue.
But not all have such a dark look on life,
And Valentines Day as well.
Some choose to rejoice in their wealth,
Love surrounds them like a carousel.
For the mothers and fathers and siblings alike,
The best friends and co-workers too.
Valentines day is a day to share all your love,
So please let us not misconstrue.
In life we have to decide who we are,
A person who shares love, or one who does not.
Life is too short to be hidden away,
Spread the love to all within earshot!
– Julie Hebert
Better To Have Loved
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.
– Alfred Lord Tennyson
Do you like any of the poems yet? If you need more inspiration or even want to write a poem or saying yourself, we have just what you're looking for here: How to write a love poem?
There you will also find even more sayings that will make your declaration of love a success!